Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Reflection Point 2.6

David could have had his students work further with print and television advertisements, engaging issues of social equality, issues of gender and of class.

For example, women's bodies are often times objectified within ads. This could have been a topic of discussion. He also could have had his students study positive images in advertisements such as those of grassroots campaigns, political or otherwise.

There could have also been a long term project assigned where the students would write, talk about, and visually portray their own ideas about the issue(s). David could have pushed them further by having them engage in a debate where they had to argue for ideas that they didn't necessarily hold themselves or even to create their own positive ad to reflect what they have learned in the unit.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I completely agree that gender and women could have been a powerful discussion point for David's students. When I thought of this, I thought more about the representation and number of women you see in ads. I think your point about the way women and their bodies are used is an even more critical way to approach the issue. I would be interested to see what the students would have to say about that topic.