Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Text Set

The book I chose for my text set is the novel Cracker! The Best Dog in Vietnam by Newberry Medal winner Cynthia Kadohata. This book is about a dog trained to aid the military in the Vietnam war. Cracker explores the relationship between the dog and his human trainer while portraying the realities of war in an accessible way for young readers. The DC site I will use is the Vietnam Memorial, which will give the perspective of focusing on the humans while also giving the point of view of remembering the war years later. I would like to use images of Vietnam War protestors to give the reader glimpses into the opposition to the war here in the US. A film I would like to use is the film Operation Babylift: The Lost Children of Vietnam, a documentary about the event in which thousands of Vietnamese orphans were airlifted out of Vietnam and adopted by families worldwide. Unfortunately, the film has yet to be released, but I can use the movie trailer, which gives a good amount of information and shows various perspectives about the event and its results, including its impact on the lives of those involved. Also, as a secondary text (if allowed), I would like to include Eve Bunting's "The Wall", a picture book about a boy and his father visiting the Vietnam Memorial.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You’re project sounds fascinating. The Memorial is such a rich resource for thinking about war, historical memory and memorializing. I also plan to use the Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial as my public site. I want to explore the controversy surrounding the Memorial’s construction, especially the fact that an Asian-American woman was chosen to design the memorial. I will look up Eve Bunting’s The Wall. It sounds like a useful text for my project as well. Like you, I am concerned to present issues surrounding the Memorial in a way that is provocative but accessible to children.

MV said...

Great comments by David that you can use to help frame your work from a critical literacy perspective. It will be interesting to see what you both come up with.

For your text set you can use as many texts as you'd like as long as you have the initial texts required in the assignment.

Thanks
vivian